Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dungeon Finds

Friday was a fun day in the dungeon! I have been thinking about these wall hangings off and on for a long time....I knew basically where they were in the dungeon....under the shelves, so I knew nothing would fall on them, or they would get knocked off.....But they were on the concrete floor, so I was sure hoping they hadn't wicked up moisture from the concrete.....I got them out Friday and they are in perfect shape! My Aunt wrapped them so well.....wrapped in old towels, then inside bubble wrap, paper wrapped and boxed....I was so excited to see them again after all these years! I remember these being displayed in my Grandparents' house in Nebraska. I can tell you they won't ever see the inside of the dungeon again!

A grocery bag used as part of the cushioning between the plaque and the box....



The reason I had gone into the dungeon was to look for a pair of deals to hang in the bathroom downstairs....I knew where this was in the dungeon, an area that hadn't been "explored" in a very long time. And although I only found one for now, I am pretty sure there are two of them....it was still quite an adventure on the North wall!

There is a long counter type thing along a good part of the North wall....taken out of a building here in town that was being remodeled in the late 80's...anyway, have alot of things stored on there...I found my Mom's glass Easter eggs! I was so excited! Now I am going to put up an Easter egg tree this year. I thought I would use a bare tree branch somehow....


Pretty painted flowers....








an ashtray courtesy of a donkey ball company? I am going to guess this may date from the 60's?



And I found the top to my Tupperware cake taker thing! I can safely say this has been missing for a very long time!



Then I started digging in a cloth covered bushel basket, which is probably a find in itself...inside were some Christmas things...this clear plate that has fabric attached to the bottom somehow....





Well, this isn't Christmas, but it's neat......inside was stuffed this neat story handwritten by my Grandmother about how my Mom gave this to her using money she earned from one of her first paychecks....




Made by a place in California in 1951......that's what it says on the bottom...





And it just kept getting better! I love these little figures!



Santa and Mrs Clause each holding gifts behind their backs......



Group photo! haha


And last but not least...........................





I found it!!! Too late for this Christmas, but this fellow is going to spend this year in the china cabinet!All in all it was one FANTASTIC day in the dungeon!














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your dungeon! Oh my gosh, what a treasure trove of "stuff" you have down there. Your "dungeon" is like the old-fashioned attics, just doesn't end, all those fun finds. Thanks for sharing them. Wow, those gold or brass wall hangings are beautiful and so "in" now (well, really to me those things are timeless). I hope you never reach the bottom of items and keep on taking pix of them to show all of us. K.A.