Monday, February 13, 2012

Gifts from the Dungeon

On the snow day we had Monday I retrieved some items from the dungeon to go through....this is the first one I went through...a plastic box with partitions.... This box came from my parents' house....First I separated out the little safety pins and put them away, then I scattered most of the rest out onto a blanket....



an interesting assortment of items....


small wooden pipe...a campaign button for Harry Truman...little apple on a bracelet...two four leaf clover buttons and other misc items


little deals that I remember being used to hold I guess slipcovers or something onto furniture...a prism....a couple birds....two polished shell like material things with holes in them, maybe to be used as a necklace? a fishing swivel!! another four leaf clover button and three small prisms tied to fishing line..hmmm this is starting to remind me of an I Spy book!

Three pins that remind me of Kansas....and two pennies from WWII one is made of something other than copper......



assorted rings.....


Eastern Star medallion...

Shriners pin...









I imagine these were my Dad's....



My Mom deserves this trophy!


I enjoyed spending part of my morning going through this box of keepsakes!f




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll enjoy the little glass caterpillar each time you see it when you go by. And,do you know about Uncle Paul Jahnke and the part he played in your great grandparents from Germany meeting each other? So many memories in those little partitions - the small wooden pipe was a part of a carved coconut head once and the prisms were mine in the late 1940s and hung in the windows during winter times. Like so many things, don't know where they came from or how old they are. Always liked Kansas and took one pin with me, a miniature of their state seal. The Eastern Star emblem was on a charm bracelet once (mine) and the Masonic cufflinks from your dad and Shriner from his dad, Cecil. Thanks for saying what you did about the trophy!
Truly could make an I Spy picture.

Ramona said...

I thought it was an interesting assortment of things....I am sure I have heard the story of Uncle Paul, but wouldn't be a bad idea to refresh my memory.....