Friday, October 12, 2012

Oil Lamps and Other Stuff

This was my project yesterday....clean up four old oil lamps...the two
in the back were already pretty clean and I only recently acquired them.
The two in the front have been on a shelf in our garage for maybe ten years.
Both of them had oil in them, one was all dried up and the other the oil
had kind of separated and stuck to the glass....what a mess!  I got online
and read where a person should try soaking them in soapy water..well,
that didn't do a thing! One of the comments on the article said to
try amonia...
My ammonia bottle...probably dating to the early 80's..and no, I am not kidding!  This worked like magic!  It melted that residue on contact!

I put them all back together today after they had dried good....I think they
turned out pretty good!
For now we will display them on a shelf in our living room..
A week or so ago I checked out Warman's 2013 Price Guide from
the town library....I was flipping through it and saw this pitcher that I have!
Then I was sitting there staring at these bowls, thinking how neat they were..
Made by McCoy...anyway I realized the small one is what I have on our
front table full of putka pods!
And finally, the only piece of Fiesta Ware  that I have....
I have looked at those price guides before and it was kind of neat
to see somethings in there that I actually have!
Jimson Weed...taken in the Mae Field just before the frost....
That last picture was unexpected wasn't it? haha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those kerosene lamps are beautiful! And, I like your idea of putting them all together on a shelf. k.